APT28 (also known as Fancy Bear, Sofacy, Sednit, STRONTIUM) was discovered using the malware Zebrocy as part of their new COVID-19 campaign targeting Government agencies and commercial organization of the following nations:
Sofacy, Sednit, Fancy Bear, STRONTIUM
Zebrocy is a sub-group that helps APT groups like Sofacy with victim profiling and access. The malware that the group delivers, dubbed Zebrocy, initiates the campaign by sending out phishing emails with malicious attachments, masquerading as the latest research by Sinopharm International Corporation on COVID-19. The actors also pose as officials from Directorate General of Civil Aviation, India.
- Saudi Arabia
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
[caption id="attachment_9098" align="alignnone" width="797"]
Trojanized DGCA Documents in VHD[/caption]
The malicious email usually contains a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD), which can only be accessed in Windows 10. The VHD includes the following files:
- PDF of Sinopharm International Corporation’s latest research on COVID-19
- Word document that contains the Zebrocy malware
[caption id="attachment_9099" align="alignnone" width="902"]
Trojanized Sinopharm Document in VHD[/caption]
The malware launches a backdoor and a downloader. Zebrocy is armed with these functionalities :
The enumerated data is sent to the C2, awaiting further commands.
- Collect system information and send them to the C&C server.
- Manipulate files
- Take screenshots of the user environment
- Drive enumeration
- Persistence via scheduled task
- Persistence in the infected system.
- This malware can create, edit, or delete any file in the system.
- Capable of discovering all the connected devices.
- Expose personal data of the victims.
- Compromise all devices that are connected to the infected device
- Possibilities of business data leaks
Indicators of Compromise
- d5d9210ef49c6780016536b0863cc50f6de03f73e70c2af46cc3cff0e2bf9353 30-1868.vhd
- 43c65d87d690aea7c515fe84317af40b7e64b350304b0fc958a51d62826feade 30-22-243.vhd
- d444fde5885ec1241041d04b3001be17162523d2058ab1a7f88aac50a6059bc0 No.243.CB3-EVACUATION LETTER.vhd
- f36a0ee7f4ec23765bb28fbfa734e402042278864e246a54b8c4db6f58275662 243_BIO_SINOPHARM.exe
- 61c2e524dcc25a59d7f2fe7eff269865a3ed14d6b40e4fea33b3cd3f58c14f19 243.CB3.EVACUATION LETTER.exe
- 6449d0cb1396d6feba7fb9e25fb20e9a0a5ef3e8623332844458d73057cf04a1 30-1868 20.10.2020.exe
- Users should practice cyber hygiene
- Keep the system up to date
- Update EDR with the latest signature
- Deploy effective IDPS in the network
- Disable file and printer sharing services
- Use of complex passwords and periodic password rotation
- Proper account and privilege audits